Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Changeling (2008)

The Changeling was directed by Clint Eastwood and stars Angelina Jolie. It's my second 20'/30's movie recently (following Public Enemies), and it's not bad.

On the positive side, the shots were artsy but not overly pretentious, and as with Public Enemies the characters were convincingly "of the times." The story -- about the Wineville Chicken Coop murders and Christine Collins's efforts to find her son in the face of an incredibly corrupt and evil Los Angeles Police Department -- was very interesting and opened my eyes to a kind of systemic abuse I'd never heard about.

On the negative side, Angelina Jolie is definitely not one of my favorite actresses. Her overly dramatic outbursts had the effect of making me laugh a couple times -- most of the movie she was actually quite good in showing an intense suffering and confusion, but then she'd periodically explode into Oscar moments that just didn't work for me.