Friday, September 25, 2009

Renovation of Forest Hills Park

Dave McNair writes on The Hook's website (here) that the City is beginning work on the renovation of Forest Hills Park. Rudy and I used to occasionally walk at the park and I am particularly a fan of the huge trees there and the non-linear and rolling layout of it. I also like the way that the park feels very much a part of the neighborhood.

McNair reports that this is a $1.2 million project. It had been delayed after work crews found problematic "organic matter" three feet beneath the old wading pool (I'm curious as to the nature of the "organic matter" (!)).

McNair says that the McGuffey Park renovation was a $700,000 project, of which $300,000 was privately funded. We recently had lunch at McGuffey and I was underwhelmed, particularly when you stack it up against the other city parks. I think it's a breath of fresh air to hear the good news about the Forest Hills project after all the controversy about McIntire Park.

The picture to the left is of the shelter at the park, prior to renovations.