Saturday, November 14, 2009

Mark Knopfler's "Get Lucky" and Owl City's "Fireflies"

I've been very into two songs recently: Get Lucky and Fireflies.

Get Lucky is off of Mark Knopfler's new album (of the same name), which came out in September. It is classic Knopfler -- a little bit melancholy, a pinch poetic, and super duper beautiful in the vocals and the chords. Here's an excerpt:

I'm better with my muscles
Than I am with my mouth

I worked the fairgrounds in the summer
And go pick fruit down south


And when I'm feel them chilly winds

Where the weather goes I follow

Pack up my traveling things, go with the swallows


Fireflies is a sensation at the moment (I think it might be #1 on Billboard), and it is one of the happier songs in recent memory. The video is equally catchy -- just a guy (is he Owl City?) on his electric piano in a cluttered room, but with all sorts of lights and machines going off in synch with the tune and the beat.

I'd get a thousand hugs
From ten thousand lightning bugs
As they tried to teach me how to dance

A fox trot above my head
A sock hop beneath my bed
A disco ball that's just hanging by a thread