Monday, December 27, 2010

2010 in Review: The Best Video and Best Lyrics of the Year


My favorite video of 2010 is the one for K'Naan's "Waving Flag," which was the official song of the 2010 World Cup.

I have always loved sports montages, and Waving Flag is the best I have seen since "One Shining Moment" in its early/mid 90's heyday.

I love the combination of the fan and athlete shots, and I love the way they actually stayed with plays for several seconds (most sports montages these days are so fast-paced that you get no sense of the plays). I also loved the global aspect of the video: there were images of teams and fans from all over the world.

My favorite lyrics of the year:

The National:

"I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees." (Bloodbuzz Ohio)

Taio Cruz and Ludacris:

"See I'm not trying to lead you on

No I'm only trying to keep it real

You might say this is Ludacris

But Taio Cruz tell her how you feel." (Break Your Heart)
 
Mumford & Sons:
 
"It's empty in the valley of your heart

The sun it rises slowly as you walk

Away from all the fears

And all the faults you've left behind." (The Cave)

Coldplay:

"I took my feet to Oxford Street." (Christmas Lights)

AND THE BEST LYRIC OF THE YEAR...

Katy Perry and Snoop Dogg:

Bikinis, tankinis, martinis

No weenies

Just to get

In betweeny

Katy my lady

You looking here baby

I'm all up on you

Cause you representing California." (California Girls)