Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Argo (2012)

 
We saw Argo last night at the Downtown Mall. 
 
This is a terrific movie! I was particularly riveted by the opening scene, which shows the Iranians storming the US embassy on November 4, 1979. 
 
This scene captured the fear of the Americans and the group-fueled energy of the protesters.
 
Ben Affleck and the writer(s) did a really good job of examining both (1) the roots of Iranian resentment towards the United States (especially the frustration with Carter's refusal to deliver the shah back to Iran) and (2) the rallying effect that the crisis had on Americans.
 
Affleck was convincingly earnest in the role of Tony Mendez. Something about his approach really got me rooting for a happy ending.
 
I think I'll go out on a limb and say this was my favorite movie (so far) this year -- even above Lincoln
 
Lincoln is awesome, but because I went into Argo without expectations the experience of watching it was even more rewarding.