Monday, May 14, 2018

Henry Jamison's "Real Peach"


613. Is it too early to start thinking about Song of the Summer contenders?

614. Can a song released during the prior calendar year contend for the SotS title?

Two weeks ago I discovered Real Peach, by Henry Jamison. I cannot stop listening to it; I absolutely love this song. Even though the song is not sad (or I don't think so, at any rate), Jamison's voice is haunting. I am fascinated by the way he modulates it, particularly on the lines "If all is fair, in love and war." The instrumentation is beautiful, and the lyrics are mysterious enough to keep me coming back.

I've sampled the rest of the album ("The Wilds") and have not yet latched onto another song. Jamison's talent is so evident, though, that I anticipate I will find more, as I continue to listen. For now, I am just going to continue to bask in the musical glory of Peach.

On that erstwhile May morning 

I took the Six downtown to Spring 
And I was writing something elegiac 
That I never learned to sing 
But I think that it was this song 
Just four years premature 
And I remember crossing out the line 
All is fair in love and war


The peonies popped this year on May 12