Monday, June 3, 2019

New Construction in Charlottesville: 3TWENTY3


While walking to the Farmers Market on Saturday morning, we noticed a very large crane at the corner of Garrett and 4th Streets. I was curious about the new building and did some research over the weekend.

This illustration is from the site's brochure. I like the abundance of glass!
The project is called 3TWENTY3 Charlottesville, and it includes the space that McGuire Woods is moving into. It will have five stories atop a 200 space parking garage (!), although I'm unclear whether the garage is partially or totally underground.

A company named Co-Construct is leasing about one-third of the space. I hadn't heard of Co-Construct before; I gather that they are a homebuilding software company that helps with management of construction projects.

The Charlottesville building boom that re-started around 2015 appears to have plenty of momentum, particularly in terms of commercial space. Of course, the unfinished Landmark Hotel remains a major exception.

I continue to hope that other new buildings don't follow the example of the apartment behemoths along West Main Street, which really have swallowed that part of town.