Sunday, March 15, 2009

Jim Cramer and Jon Stewart - Showdown

For several days now, a major story has been Jon Stewart's interview of Jim Cramer on The Daily Show, in which Stewart pulled no punches in accusing Cramer (personally) and CNBC (institutionally) for failing to do its job and blindly cheerleading the economic boom (while ignoring all the bad behavior that was enabling the boom).

I watched the unedited version of the interview. I can't seem to decide if I think Jon Stewart is incredibly self-righteous or if I actually really admire him for being the only person with balls enough to confront Cramer et al. for their role in "the mess." I am leaning towards the latter -- Stewart asked him some very probing questions and actually came across as less self-righteous than he sometimes does in his critiques of political cable news analysis.

136. Diane Rehm spent almost the entire hour talking about the interview on the Friday News Roundup. Does DR watch The Daily Show regularly? Who does she think is the most dependable journalist/outlet (other than NPR, I presume) at the moment?

There was a priceless moment this week when a caller started off his call on FNR with "Diane, I am convinced that you are one of the angels on the earth."