Sunday, March 15, 2009

UVa Basketball Has an Awful Year


UVa had its worst season that I can remember; we finished 10-18 and 4-12 in the ACC. The one highlight of the entire season was upsetting Maryland in the last regular season game -- it looked like that would knock Maryland out of the NCAA tournament, however now it appears they'll get in by virtue of beating Wake Forest in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament.

I only went to one game and followed the team less than at any point since moving back to Charlottesville. I think this is because I have so much else going on in my life, but maybe if they'd at least been competitive I would have paid some attention.

The bright spots for the future are two freshman: guard Sylven Landesberg (who averaged 16 points per game) was just voted the ACC Rookie of the Year, and guard Sammy Zeglinski (3 assists and 8 points per game) played relatively well (I think!).

It remains to be seen whether Leitao will be around for the long-run. I remember being so hopeful when we beat Albany in the first round of the NCAAs a couple of years ago (and then almost knocked off Tennessee in the Round of 32), but I am not nearly as optimistic anymore.

And in a bit of irony, Roger Mason Jr. is playing absolutely lights-out for the San Antonio Spurs -- as with UVa football, it seems like we have some very talented players on the teams through the years, but they never seem to jell as a group.