Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Tallest Man on Earth's The Wild Hunt

I discovered Kristian Mattson's earlier album, Shallow Grave, last summer, and thoroughly enjoyed The Gardener. I like the simplicity (is it just him and his guitar?) and his raspy voice. I assume the lyrics are poetic, although I haven't felt the need to actually read them -- it's easier to just enjoy the melody sometimes.

Now he's got a new album out, The Wild Hunt, and for an experiment I will check out some of those lyrics. Here's a bit from Love is All:

Well I walk upon the river like it's easier than land
Evil's in my pocket and your will is in my hand
Oh, your will is in my hand

And I'll throw it in the current that I stand upon so still
Love is all, from what I've heard,
but my heart's learned to kill
Oh, mine has learned to kill

Here's the current top 5 on the current Billboard Top 100 chart:

Nothin' on You - B.o.B.
Rude Boy - Rihanna
Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz
Need You Now - Lady Antebellum
Hey Soul Sister - Train (incredible that this song has had so much staying power; my post was on October 31 (here)

B.o.B. and Taio Cruz - any good?

The major phenomenon on pop/hip-hop hits right now seems to be that the song's by one person but featuring another; for instance, Break Your Heart is by Taio Cruz but featuring Ludacris.