Thursday, July 1, 2021

Laudato Si

 In Laudato Si, Pope Francis emphasizes the way in which Jesus -- while sharing his ideas -- focused on nature:

As he made his way throughout the land, he often stopped to contemplate the beauty sown by his Father and invited his disciples to perceive a divine message in things.

I love this passage. We have camped in the mountains and on the seashore this summer, and I have spent a great deal of time working in my garden. 

On numerous occasions, I have felt awe at the wonders that surround me. This past week, the sea birds in North Carolina, gliding across the waves and framed by the deep blue sky, took me aback. The sand in the dunes, with its eternal ripples. And the sunlight at various points in the day, somehow both changing and constant.

I hadn't previously thought about how frequently Jesus uses nature in his parables: the seeds, the plants, the rocks and sky. I am excited to read and hear the stories again in the light of Francis's message.



J took the first two pictures, and B took the third one.